FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Major Lafayette Woods, Jr.
Operation Commander/Public Information Officer
6th ANNUAL SHERIFF'S FUN DAY EXPECTED TO DRAW A CROWD OF HUNDREDS: Jefferson County, Arkansas – May 8, 2012 – On Saturday, May 19, 2012 beginning at 9am to 3 pm, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office will be hosting their 6th Annual Sheriff’s Fun Day Event at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Park located on Rhinehart Road in Pine Bluff, AR. Last year’s event although a 1-day event was a success and its youth outreach effects were far reaching; drawing hundreds to a day of free food, fun and entertainment.
The mission of Sheriff’s Fun Day, which Jefferson County Sheriff Gerald Robinson oversees, is to “share with the youth many of the necessities of life they are lacking-namely such as positive recreation and outreach programs in a controlled environment.” Sheriff’s Fun Day is committed to positively impacting the lives of all youth to include those who are underprivileged. This event provides the youth in the community to interact with members of law enforcement and other partners in a positive controlled environment.
The public is invited and encouraged to attend this year’s Sheriff’s Fun Day, where activities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Fishing derby sponsored in part by the Jefferson County Soil & Conservation District along with the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission *BRING YOUR OWN POLE (Bait will be provided)
- Special appearances from Nick Jr. liFe size character Dora the Explorer, Sponge Bob Square Pants and many more.
- Pine Bluff Fire & Emergency Services “Fire Safety House”
- Arkansas National Guard
- Live Petting Zoo
- Live Fish Aquarium by Arkansas Game & Fish Commission
- Amusement Rides & Bounce Houses
- Vehicle Extrication Demonstrations by Watson Chapel Fire Department